Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hell has frozen over

Friday, April 13, 2007

Hell has frozen over

Why do you say that, Jillian? What unthinkable thing could possibly have occured?

Well, I'll tell you: the homeless in the 'hood actually complimented me on my attire today. I had a number of theories as to why they took such exception to my gear. Maybe they just hate bright colors, because their world is so dim. Perhaps they're color blind and, while they know I've got something eyeball-searing on, they cannot appreciated personally and are very bitter. Maybe they just don't like black people (like me), or maybe they just don't like me. Any number of possibilities for why these dudes are so fucking shitty to me all the goddamn time but, today, I got a definitive answer from the homeless' mouths.

A brief backstory: I was dressed this afternoon in a wholly different fashion than I normally opt for, ie a business suit. Not that unusual, per se, although my business suits tend to run towards bright colors as well or weird shapes (think sci-fi villain). I had an important meeting today, so I dug out a terribly conventional dark green pantsuit and paired it with black pumps and a black sweater. Conservative was the order of the day; hell, I was even wearing a watch (something I never do). This ensemble didn't look bad, of course, as I myself am mostly incapable of looking bad. It just looked boring, very very boring.

Naturally, I go to the effort of dressing as blandly as possible and the homeless go nuts over it. Moreover, they seemed rather shocked to see me dressing this way, as was evidenced in their comments: "Wow, you actually look nice today!". Jerks. I certainly didn't want to pass up a golden opportunity, so I took my chance and asked "So I don't normally look nice?"

THE VERDICT: The reply to my above query was thus: "You're a pretty girl, but you always look so damn weird." Trendy, I can be accused of. Slightly goth-rock, sure. Actual weird, however, I only really trot out a few times a year and it's certainly not even close to the average ordinary gear I throw on to grab a paper at the Fruteria. I guess the homeless are just terribly conservative in their clothing preferences. Awfully strange for a bunch of folks that typically smell like urine.


Everybody's a fucking critic,
J

2 comments:

Craig Gernhardt said...

Are you sure Bridget is your sister?

Anonymous said...

What the fuck is that supposed to mean, mystery man?